Monday, January 25, 2010

My Daniel Tangent

Last week I told you that I was going through a study of Daniel with some girls over at Amber's blog. Amber gives us some questions to process and then we should post an answer to one of them. Well...you know me...I never seem to be able to do what I am told. So I am going a different direction with what I learned from reading through the second chapter of Daniel.




In this chapter the king is looking for someone to interpret his dream. Nobody is willing to do specifically what he asks so he decides to have ALL of the wise men killed. This would include Daniel. In verse 14, Daniel learns of the edict and this is what that verse says:

"When Arioch, the commander of the king's guard, had gone out to put to death the wise men of Babylon, Daniel spoke to him with wisdom and tact."

He spoke with WISDOM and TACT! My first reaction would have been to freak out, probably get angry and question, go about my business trying to figure my way out of this mess and totally run my mouth.

I have an issue with my mouth. Always have. It often moves and starts speaking before I think. It's been called to my attention more than once in the past two weeks that I can be hurtful, that my words carry lots of sarcasm and that I can belittle others without intending to do so.

I want to be a woman that speaks with wisdom and tact. I want to be so in tune with God that I know He is control of each and every situation and I don't need to scurry around trying to figure out the situation for myself. I want the words that come out of my mouth to be edifying to others, to lift them up, to encourage, to breathe life into them...

I used to pray this verse for myself every day from Psalm 141: 3 "Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD, keep watch over the door of my lips." I think I need to be praying that again.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, Amber, but it's what God is speaking to me right now.

Striving to be a woman of wisdom and tact,


24 comments:

Gretchen said...

Hello, my name is Gretchen, and I come to the throne right behind Sheryl, asking for wisdom and tact.

I don't think you ever need apologize for God's instruction, not matter what the study. Rather, it's good that you were obedient to what He laid upon your heart (IMHO).

Did I say that tactfully? I hope so.

Kathleen said...

I've got to laugh. I call this the "Ready, Fire, Aim Syndrome", and it's affected most all of us at one time or the other.

Isn't is interesting, and wonderful, how God's word speaks to each of us so personally? I love it!

Blessings,
Kathleen

P.S. It's delightful to see a sense of humor in your posts.

JD said...

Beautiful wisdom, Sheryl!

Love seeing Daniel through your eyes :)

C.C. and Double T said...

I hear ya, Sheryl! I have the same problem myself. May the LORD help us both to watch what we say and how we say it!

Kerrie said...

...but can you keep some of the sarcasm Sheryl? Maybe just a little?

Lisa Smith said...

Sheryl, I spent time right there too. Yes I did. You know everything's bigger in Texas and Im asking God to not make that true of my mouth!! love ya, lisa

His Girl said...

I hope you are not really sorry you went off on a 'Tangent'- on a safari, even if we were looking for lions, I would be sad if you noticed a bunch of baby giraffes (my favorite animal at the zoo) and didn't say something!
In this study, the fact that you noticed this beautiful little sidetrip actually blessed me more than you could ever know.

Great job, Sheryl! Good eye! Thank you for your amazing contribution to this study.

xo

Tiffani said...

Oh girl! Me too! I just said what I wanted to say...I didn't exactly answer exactly as "instructed" but you and I were sort of on the same page!!!

So glad you posted what was on your heart!!

Melanie said...

beautiful word.

thank you for listening to the heart of God and sharing it here, even if it vered off the plan :)

love you. praying.

nancygrayce said...

I often have to say put a guard over my mouth oh Lord!

Kim in NC said...

Ok, so when was your birthday...November right?

I bought you a card but was waiting to send it, and, well, you know you never got a card from me. Here is what it says though (I just had to go find it because I knew it went right along w/this post!)...

"Some people have a quiet wisdom and only say what's necessary. (turn to the inside) "then there's you. Happy Birthday!"


Glad I could help :)

Beth E. said...

Wisdom and tact...two things that are not always part of my personality...Thanks for such a good message!

care-in said...

"wisdom and tact" - those words stood out to me too. Thanks for sharing how God spoke to you.

Robin said...

This week the Bible study really spoke to me in an tangent sort of way so I am glad I am not alone. Nice to know that when I visit other blog posts about this Bible study God will continue to speak in new ways. Thanks for the reminder that Daniel has a lot of things we all need to learn.

ShEiLa said...

My husband has both wisdom and tact... he has been trying to teach tact to me by example for... 28 years now. I am happy to report I think I am learning the artform.

ToOdLeS.

Paula V said...

I know what you mean about the good ol' mouther. It's gotten me in TOOOOO much trouble in my lifetime in my marriage. I think I've learned. I say think b/c I've not been around said person to push my buttons. I love what James teaches us about our tongue. I believe it's chapter 3.

Doesn't Beth Moore have a study on Daniel? I want to do that next after Esther. I don't know the content of Daniel or Beth's story. I do know Daniel tells the story of Shad, Mesh, Abin. I also like the story in chapt 4 of Daniel and King Neb. I wrote a post about that.

Just a little something from Judy said...

What could be more appealing than a women with wisdom and tact! Seems to me like you already are wise...wise enough to know what is important to pray for. It is my prayer for me, too. I really appreciate your honesty.

His Girl said...

we totally talked about your post in my office today.

great discovery!

wisdom & tact!

I keep on saying it :)

Jen said...

Love, love, LOVE that you wrote this! I am right beside you, sister, asking for wisdom and tact!

I pray every morning that God would guide my conversations, my conduct, and my character. I struggle with my mouth every.single.moment it oftentimes feels like!

Praying with you and for you!!

Technonana said...

My Mother-in-Law has a plaque in her kitchen that says..."Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff and nudge me when I have said enough".... It's very helpful for me to remember that!!
Oh and the mouth thing... ummm I think all us girls are like that!!

Holley Gerth said...

Oh, girl, I can so relate to this! I have been praying the "set a guard over my lips" prayer lately too! (: Thanks your great perspective and reminder! Fabulous post!

And thanks for joining in the Rest of Your Story series!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great insight and something I sure need to work on....Love you

Anonymous said...

so good!

i need to start praying that i'd speak with wisdom and tact...

Amrita said...

I am striving for this too. Wisdom and tact and discernment is what I desire in my life. Sometimes I walk on a tight rope in my work....and egg shells.