I think my trust in God has often fallen under that second definition. "confident expectation of something". Like...I will trust God that He will give me healthy kids. I'll trust God that He will meet our needs (which were often "wants") I will trust God that He will heal me. I will trust God that He will restore my marriage. And on it goes. My list of things that I will trust God to do. Confidently expecting something, hoping for it.
Really I believe the first definition is probably the kind of trust I should be putting in God. I can rely on His integrity, strength, ability, etc. He didn't tell me to trust that he would perform a certain way for me. He just tells me to trust HIM. Well what can I trust about God?
- I can trust that He is good. ALL the time.
- I can trust that He is love. He can do nothing outside of that love.
- I can trust that He has the perfect plan.
- I can trust that His Word is truth.
- I can trust that He forgives.
- I can trust that He is a God of mercy and second chances.
- I can trust that He sees the whole picture and knows the end of every story.
- I can trust that He knows better than me. (ALWAYS)
- I can trust that when I am sad, He sees and cares.
- I can trust that His eyes never leave me - not even for a second.
- I can trust that He isn't surprised by anything.
- I can trust that He is trustworthy.
He may not answer the prayers in the way I've asked. He may seem silent. He may seem to have forgotten me. But those are all my perceptions. None of them are true. None of them fit the character of God. I have to go back to His Word and remind myself of who He is.
He loves me SO much that he pursued me and pursued me even after I turned my back on Him many years ago. But He also loves me so much that He may leave where I am right now, just as I am...for a greater purpose. I have to trust that in his goodness, mercy and love that purpose will be amazing! For this season I question, "why are you allowing this", "why won't you at least take one of these things from me"? And He answers me, "I am with you, I'm in it with you, Sheryl. I am not surprised. Trust me!!!"
Lord, give me a heart to love you and trust you more. May I have my eyes wide open waiting expectantly for what you are going to do. Trusting that good will eventually come. Knowing it may not look the way I think it should be, knowing you will use it for your glory or it wouldn't be allowed. Love on my children for me, Lord. Give them hearts that fall deeply in love with you right now as they are hurting. I know you love them more than I do. And I trust you.