Friday, April 18, 2008

Be Thankful for Your Chores

Today I was reading someone's blog (who will remain nameless) and she was lamenting about all the chores and errands she has to do. She feels overwhelmed by them all. I can relate, or at least I used to be able to do. I wanted to comment to her that she should be grateful for all those chores and the ability to do them. But I thought I would come across as condemning. And that would never be my intention. But at any moment the ability to do that which we hate, can be taken away from us. Oh to scrub a toilet...

Then I was reading on another favorite blog that she was telling everyone to clean out their fridge door. Oh my...this has been a humbling week for me when it comes to people coming into my home and helping in the kitchen. The other night my daughter, Ellie, yelled in to me "hey mom, is the bread supposed to be all swollen" GROSS!!! "No, Ellie, just throw it away". Now today someone is cleaning the fridge and found green hot dogs and lunchmeat. It's not like one of my kids couldn't have seen that for themselves and thrown it away. Oh no, they need to make sure that I am totally humilifed (my word) in front of someone I don't really know.

However, this woman that God has brought into my home to help out, she is going to be such a blessing. So she may as well get to know me, green food & all and realize I am just an ordinary mom that needs a little extra help. I don't believe she knows my Jesus, so that's probably why she is here. God has her here for a bigger purpose. Not just to cook, clean, be my own personal "Martha Stewart", but to hopefully notice that there is something about me and my house that she finds different (not green food, but Jesus).

So not to condemn anyone for complaining about your chores, but I would trade places with you in an instant. You're fortunate to be able to do all that I used to complain about. One day, God willing I'll be complaining again....oh, no I won't, I'll be giddy for all the things on my "to do" list that I am actually able to do!!

P.S. I start a new med tomorrow, pray with me that this brings some relief and I can get some of my life back.


9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Thanks for reminding us not to take our lives for granted.

I love your word humilifed..lol..

And I will definitely be praying that your meds help you to get your life back!

Susan said...

Hey Sheryl,

Thanks so much for stopping by today. I really, really appreciate your prayers and kind comments.

I'm still praying for you too!

You're going through a very difficult time now, but God is in control, and a new day is coming.

I pray your new meds will help out.

Keep looking up♥

Dineen A. Miller said...

Prying for you! Love your attitude here. Keep writing and posting just as you are. Be who you are right now. Love your honesty, girl. And I love how God is providing for your needs, even our inherent need to minister to others...so precious. :-)

Stephanie said...

Sheryl,
I hope you don't mind, but I read your comment on Susan's blog and just felt like I needed to come here today. Though your challenges are a little different, I have felt some of what you are feeling. I was diagnosed with Lupus about a year after my son's birth. The one thing that has come from it is a MUCH deeper relationship with Christ. It didn't happen overnight, but the valley has definitely had a positive impact on my life. In fact, I posted about some of that here...http://iliftmyeyesuptothehills.blogspot.com/2008/03/thankful-thursday_26.html if you would like to read it.

I have been thinking and wondering if I feel up to volunteering for an organization in my community. It is called Restore Motherhood and is for chronically ill mothers that need help with stuff like you mentioned in your post. You have further pushed me in that direction b/c their are certainly people worse off than I am!

I will pray for you, Sheryl!
Hugs,
Stephanie

Stephanie said...

Oops, I meant "there" not "their"

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new med. It just may do the trick. I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow.

I will try to be happy as I do my chores this week. = D

Texas

threehandprints said...

Reading this does remind me that I do need to be thankful for the little things that I take for granted. Thanks and praying that your new meds will help.

Suzanne said...

Hey, how are you doing? Any relief with the new meds yet??

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

You have given me a new outlook on chores my friend.